WHAT'S NEW?
Loading...

Personal Productivity: Business vs. busyness vs. laziness

image

There"s an ancient cliché that drives a lot of my thinking about personal productivity. "Excessive busy-ness is a common form of laziness."

Busy-ness in the Tibetan tradition is considered the most extreme form of laziness. Because when you are busy you can turn your brain off. You’re on the treadmill. The only  intelligence comes in the morning when you make your To Do list and you get rid of all the possible space that could happen in your day. - Elephant Journal, 2008

The Tibetan term lelo, as I understand it, begins to describe this kind of laziness.

Kausidya (Sanskrit; Tibetan Wylie: le lo) is a Buddhist term translated as "laziness" or "spiritual sloth".

Alan Wallace explains that kausidya (lelo in Tibetan) refers to a very specific type of laziness, that is concerned only with virtuous activity. Wallace explains from Wikipedia:

[...]lelo in Tibetan, is often translated as ‘laziness,’ but it is much more specific. If a person is working sixteen hours a day, hellbent on earning a whole lot of money with absolutely no concern for virtue, from a Buddhist perspective you could say that person is subject to lelo. A workaholic is clearly not lazy, but such a person is seen as lelo in the sense of being completely lethargic and slothful with regard to the cultivation of virtue and purification of the mind. Our translation of this term is ‘spiritual sloth,’ which we have taken from the Christian tradition, where it is very comparable to the Buddhist notion.

I"m not saying you"re lazy so don"t get mad quite yet. I"m saying that using "I"m too busy" as an excuse or a reason to not do something important to you, then you might want to give your situation a closer look. I"m saying that sometimes we are busy with work, but not the kind of work we should be busy with.

Sakyong Mipham states: "Speediness is laziness when we use it as a way to avoid working with our minds."

Of course, there"s busy people who are literally on fire and being chased by ninjas, I"ll give them a pass. But when someone says "I"m too busy" perhaps they are letting you know they are too important to talk to you, or they are just using it as an excuse to not engage. Often I"ve said in the past that "I"m busy" when I really mean "I"m not really that into your idea to take the time to think deeply about it."

So when we say "being busy is a form of being lazy" we"re saying think about what"s important, and think about the work you"re doing. Is it moving the ball forward? Is it moving YOUR BALL forward. The Ball that you care about?

I have an hour set aside once a week that"s for a meeting. The meeting is with myself. No one else comes to this meeting but me. I think about what I"m doing, where I"m going, and what I need to be working on. I use this meeting to think about the business and busyness of my previous week. I think about what busy work I did that was a waste of time, and try to setup myself up for success in the coming week.

My parents and brother are convinced that I"m too busy to hang out or have lunch. I constantly hear "Well, we didn"t want to bother you." I"m never too busy for them. Time can be made. It"s amazing how quickly a day of meetings (or a half-day) can be cancelled or moved. Days can be cleared and time can be made.

It"s easy to get caught up in the chaos of business. It"s fun to play Tetris with your Outlook calendar. It"s satisfying to pack those productive meetings in and feel important and urgently needed. It"s cathartic to delete email and think that getting rid of that email is moving my life forward, but often it"s not. Often I"m just on a treadmill, running to keep up. I know this treadmill and my inertia keeps me going.

The hard work is to consciously step off the treadmill, step away, turn around and look at it. What can be removed? What can be refined? In what ways have we taught our bosses or co-workers how to treat us and our time?

I was in Egypt once and the hosts wanted to take me to the Sphinx, but I didn"t want to miss a weekend with my sons. They may have thought me rude, but it was about consciously choosing one priority over another. I knew my time and my priorities and made a conscious choice on how I was going to spend it.

In what way are you buying into the idea of being always busy? What are you doing to find balance?


Sponsor: Thanks to friends at RayGun.io. I use their product and LOVE IT. Get notified of your software’s bugs as they happen! Raygun.io has error tracking solutions for every major programming language and platform - Start a free trial in under a minute!


SOURCE: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/PersonalProductivityBusinessVsBusynessVsLaziness.aspx

0 comments:

Post a Comment