WHAT'S NEW?
Loading...

"Simply terrible advice" - If the shoe pinches, don't wear it.

Photo by Ben Grey used under CC

There"s few things that get me too riled up when it comes to advice. I love hearing about other people"s lives and their life systems. From the mundane and familiar, like how they pack their kids lunches, how they manage their finances, or how they manage their email.

The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself. - Oscar Wilde

We are an amalgamation of all the advice we"ve ever been given. The first 18 years of my life I was trapped in my parents" house and subjected to their "advice." Most of which turned out to be spot on. I am currently forcing my children to take my advice until their brains full form (which I suspect will happen in about 25 years).

A word to the wise ain"t necessary - it"s the stupid ones that need the advice. - Bill Cosby

I did a post yesterday called "Don"t Check Your Email in the Morning." It"s not that controversial, I think. However, it"s been characterized as "The singular most life-changing productivity tip I"ve received" as well as "Simply terrible advice."

Come on. This is simply an issue of self-reflection. Look at your personal habits, your routine, and how you go about your day. Do you go about your workday on auto-pilot, or with a sense of intentionality?

Don"t check email in the morning is a rule of thumb. The essential point is "Don"t get caught up in the minutiae of unimportant morning email checking if you"re unknowingly using email checking as an way to procrastinate."

Maybe checking email every 5 min works for you. Perhaps that morning quick email sweet is essential to your business. Hey, more power to you. You check email 365 days a year. I wonder what would happen if you didn"t check it in the morning for a day? Might be useful advice. Totally might not. You"ll never know unless you try.

I like trying on shoes. But if the shoe pinches, I don"t wear it.

Consider not checking your email in the morning, if you think it might help you. Enjoy the comments.

Related Links


Sponsor: Many thanks to Aspose for sponsoring the blog feed this week! Aspose.Total for .NET has all the APIs you need to create, manipulate and convert Microsoft Office documents and a host of other file formats in your applications. Curious? Start a free trial today.


SOURCE: http://www.hanselman.com/blog/SimplyTerribleAdviceIfTheShoePinchesDontWearIt.aspx

0 comments:

Post a Comment